Welfare Benefits and Universal Credit

The government have changed the way they pay certain benefits. Universal Credit is rolling out across the country and if you need to make a claim for benefits, you will be directed to make an online application. Universal credit replaces:

  • Income Support
  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit will be paid as ONE monthly payment and it will up to you to budget for your household, including making rent payments. Until now, only certain single people, looking for work and in good health have been able to claim this benefit. This is about to change and all working age people will be directed to claim Universal Credit. Claimants on older benefits will also be directed to claim Universal Credit following certain changes of circumstances. This is called “Full Service Roll-Out”.

More information, roll-out timetable and access to claim Universal Credit online can be found at https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit and www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk

All customers in receipt of the old method of claiming Universal Credit will get a letter within 3 months of full rollout in their area inviting them to claim through the digital process. You will have 14 days to go through this process.

If you are struggling to pay your rent please contact us on 0333 200 7304 and ask to speak to the Income management team. Remember your home may be at risk if you fall into rent arrears so please call us.

How To Apply For Universal Credit

This video will give you guidance on how to apply for Universal Credit